[Skip to content]


The CASH Database

The database is the hub of the CASH service. The content can be added, searched and exported to create personalised alerting services for library customers.  There are a number of newsfeeds that can be embedded into external CAS website pages keeping them constantly updated with the latest content.

To search for a specific item enter a keyword that may appear in either the title or summary.

Database entry is very quick and easy, see the Database Quick Guide for further support.

Search Tips

  • Search for the first three words in the title e.g. "Five year forward" will find everything about the Five Year Forward View
  • Browse a category from the drop-down list to see the latest news on that topic

  • Enter a keyword to narrow your search e.g. Category Mental Health and Keyword Parity 

Mortality of patients with hospital-onset sepsis in hospitals with all-day and non-all-day rapid response teams: a prospective nationwide multicenter cohort study

Crit Care
Year of publication

Background: Hospital-onset sepsis is associated with a higher in-hospital mortality rate than community-onset sepsis. Many hospitals have implemented rapid response teams (RRTs) for early detection and timely management of at-risk hospitalized patients. However, the effectiveness of an all-day RRT over a non-all-day RRT in reducing the risk of in-hospital mortality in patient with hospital-onset sepsis is unclear. We aimed to determine the effect of the RRT's operating hours on in-hospital mortality in inpatient patients with sepsis.

Methods: We conducted a nationwide cohort study of adult patients with hospital-onset sepsis prospectively collected from the Korean Sepsis Alliance (KSA) Database from 16 tertiary referral or university-affiliated hospitals in South Korea between September of 2019 and February of 2020. RRT was implemented in 11 hospitals, of which 5 (45.5%) operated 24-h RRT (all-day RRT) and the remaining 6 (54.5%) had part-day RRT (non-all-day RRT). The primary outcome was in-hospital mortality between the two groups.

Results: Of the 405 patients with hospital-onset sepsis, 206 (50.9%) were admitted to hospitals operating all-day RRT, whereas 199 (49.1%) were hospitalized in hospitals with non-all-day RRT. A total of 73 of the 206 patients in the all-day group (35.4%) and 85 of the 199 patients in the non-all-day group (42.7%) died in the hospital (P = 0.133). After adjustments for co-variables, the implementation of all-day RRT was associated with a significant reduction in in-hospital mortality (adjusted odds ratio 0.57; 95% confidence interval 0.35-0.93; P = 0.024).

Conclusions: In comparison with non-all-day RRTs, the availability of all-day RRTs was associated with reduced in-hospital mortality among patients with hospital-onset sepsis.

Date added
Created by
Catherine Stead
Published by
Current Awareness Service for Health